The Ultima 2 Upgrade is a patch for Ultima II: Revenge of the Enchantress that adds the following features:
- EGA 16-color mode
- New hotkeys: Restore (ALT-R), Exit (ALT-X), and Main Menu (ALT-M)
- The ability to save your game while on board a vehicle
- The ability to save your game on the galactic maps
- Fixes a bug where attributes would roll beyond 99 (and back to 00)
- Complete conversion of text to lower-case
- Includes other common fan patches:
- Moonstone Dragon‘s Galaxy Map Patch (release 10/3/97)
- Micro Dragon’s Speed Fix (release 2)
- A Frame Limiter that ensures the game runs at a reasonable rate on today’s processors
- Ability to disable the AutoSave feature
- A program to reset the game so you can start a new character
Future enhancements might entail adding support for VGA (256-color) graphics, simulated Composite CGA, modifying the sound effects to be generated by WAV/MP3 data, and/or enhancing the interface to resemble the Apple II Enhanced release.
- The PC version of Ultima 2 must already be installed on your hard drive. You must start with a fresh copy of Ultima 2. (be sure to back up your savegame files PLAYER, MAP??0, MON??0 if you do)
- Unzip the U2 Upgrade zip file into your Ultima 2 directory on your hard drive. This step will not affect your current installation or saved games.
- Run the following program to patch the game files, depending on your O/S:
- Windows: u2upw (Can be launched directly from explorer)
- Linux: ./u2upl
- DOSBOX: u2up
- Configure DOSBOX to run with at least 1000 cycles with cpu=auto.
- Run ULTIMA2.COM in DOSBOX to start the game.
- If launching from GOG, edit the file dosboxULTIMA2_single.conf in the game directory and change ULTIMAII.EXE to ULTIMA2.COM.
- This version ships with default configuration. You can change this configuration using the following program, depending on your O/S:
- Windows: u2cfgw (Can be launched directly from explorer)
- Linux: ./u2cfgl
- DOSBOX: u2cfg
- To reset your savegame and start with a new player, you may run the u2reset tool, depending on your O/S.
- Windows: u2resetw (Can be launched directly from explorer)
- Linux: ./u2resetl
- DOSBOX: u2reset
Below is an images gallery of the CGA and EGA video modes. There are 20 images total in the gallery.
Release 1.2 – 2018-04-02
This is a maintenance release of the U2 Upgrade. It adds no new game features, but its primary purpose is to update the installer to work with current operating systems.
- This release uses the new patching system introduced with the latest U3 Upgrade. To install the upgrade, simply run u2upw (or u2up in DOS), and the game binaries and data files will be patched. It includes binaries that work natively in Windows, Linux or DOS so you no longer need to rely on CWSDPMI.
- Upgrading to this release requires a fresh install of U2. It’s been tested to work with the Ultima Collection and GOG versions.
- The GOG version appears to include Mono Dragon’s Galaxy Map Patch, Micro Dragon’s Speed Fix, and some of the TLK files with lower-case text. The patcher rolls back to the Ultima Collection version before applying the U2 Upgrade.
- The u2up patcher tool replaces the need for RENGAL.BAT (which was part of the Galaxy Map patch) and DNGPATCH (which repaired the Pangea Greenland dungeon).
- I’ve removed the CGAPATCH, which applied the Speed Fix, Galaxy Map patch, PICCAS, and file I/O fix to the CGA binary. If you really want to play in CGA mode you can continue to use v1.1, play the GOG.com version, or wait until v2.0…
- I do plan to replace the u2reset tool, but that requires a bit more work and will come in a later release.
- Thanks to those before me who have contributed to Ultima II: Micro Dragon for his U2 Speed Fix, Moonstone Dragon for supplying us with the U2 Galaxy Maps, and John Alderson for adding comments to much of the assembly code in his U2 for Windows project. Their work has saved me a lot of time.
- Thanks to the Ultima Dragons for just being the outspoken group that they are.
- And thanks especially to Richard Garriott for creating Ultima II & III in CGA and forcing us to play it on RGB monitors, thus inspiring me to learn assembly. 😉
Downloads of all patches are available on the Downloads page.
Please note that Ultima is a registered trademark of Electronic Arts (EA). This project is not affiliated with nor endorsed by EA. You must own a legal copy of Ultima II: Revenge of the Enchantress in order to apply this patch.