I have another release of the U3 Upgrade available that fixes an AutoSave bug. It also adds a new feature: the ability to reset the Sosaria map if you want to start a new game. Read about it here.
I’ve also included the edited MIDI files from the U5 Upgrade for download.
Done! Read about it here and download it here.
And in other news… I updated the about pagewith some more detail on the purpose of the Exodus Project. And it looks like I might be getting ready to start Phase III of the U3 Upgrade Project fairly soon.
On the newsgroup, Ophidian Dragon reported a bug with the U3 Upgrade – it seems that the game still autosaves your party when a character dies in combat. I will try to have an updated release available for this bug at the earliest opportunity.
I know I’ve been fairly silent for the past month on this page, but as those who read the RGCUD newsgroup are aware, I am working on another upgrade: Ultima V with MIDI music. I am pleased to say that the results have been fairly good. I have it all working with the exception of the endgame.
There were a few on the newsgroup that suggested I write for both the Atari ST version of the music and the C64/Apple II versions. (the latter being my preference) Both versions apparently had the same score, they just played different music at different points. While this at first seemed like a daunting task (even deciphering the first half of the code was somewhat difficult – it was compiler generated), it resulted in a much more robust design for the midi upgrade. The program makes a few key calls into a separate midi driver loaded at run-time. It has made me rethink my approach to U2 and U3 in a way that would allow for easier updates in the future… and possibly allowing me to overcome the shortcomings of midpak.
But anyway, I’m rambling on with info that’s better saved for a readme file. Hopefully this weekend I will throw up a project page for it. And in a few weeks I should have a download available. In the mean time, you can look at this if you want something to drool over. Keep checking back, and so long for now!
Finally, the U2 Upgrade is complete. Release 1.0 is available on the download page. You can read all about it here. If you don’t want all the details, then let me say just this – you can now disable autosave, save on galaxy maps, and save on your vehicle. Oh, and most of the text is lowercase now, too!
I’ve also added two more related packages to the downloads page: Xenerkes Dragon’s Ultimatrix, and Wiltshire and Aradindae Dragon’s U4 VGA/MIDI Upgrade!
‘ve just finished up release 0.3 of the U2 Upgrade, now in Beta flavor. Please download from here. The game is (finally) much more stable; dungeons, towers, view helms, and outer-space are all functional; and you can play the game from start to finish. You can read all the details here.
Ah, at long last, my final is over! And in another two weeks, my business trips to Georgia will be at a peaceful end. Soon, I can concentrate on the more important things in life, like a much-needed vacation, and some ever-so relaxing assembly language projects. Life will be good.
Shortly after my previous release of the U2 Upgrade, I was informed that the Divide By Zero fix used in the Ultima Collection CD was actually another form of Micro Dragon’s Speed Fix, although Origin never properly credited him. (The bastards!) I’ll have the README file updated with this info for the next release of the U2 Upgrade, which I am expecting to complete by next weekend. Thanks to Paulon Dragon for this info!
I have a new release of the U2 Upgrade available, (alpha 0.2). It’s a little more stable than it was before and has increased compatibility with newer systems. The Galaxy Map Patch is also now included, with Moonstone Dragon’s blessing of approval.
Not much else going on right now other than real life issues. Finals are creeping ever closer, as is the end of an Atlanta business trip, (read: crunch time!) so there may be another break of silence for several weeks. We’ll see…
Well, I’ve unfortunately been getting swallowed up by loads of work and unpaid overtime. Not ideal. It has certainly been keeping me busy enough to delay the next release of the U3 Upgrade, but here it is, release 2.3! Mostly maintenance updates in this one, though.
In other news, I have added a U3 Tech Page to the site. It’s kind of bare right now, but I hope to add data file formats and such to this page for your reference sometime in the not-so-distant future. For now anyway, I have posted the source code for two of the utilities I’ve supplied with U3.
Time passed, and the omens became troubled. Comets clashed across the sky and rumbles were heard deep in the ground. Then one day, in a fiery birth of molten lava, an island rose up in the middle of the ocean… An evil power was rising in the West, and all Sosaria groaned to its flexing. When tales emerged that the Great Earth Serpent had risen from its long slumber at the bottom of the ocean, prophets began to cry that the End of the World was at hand…
What was once known as the “Ultima III Upgrade Project” is no longer. It has evolved beyond its original being. Another soul has joined the chorus of its predecessors and crossed over into another plane of existence. It has taken its first step towards completing its Exodus.
Translation: It is my pleasure to announce that the first pre-release of the U2 EGA Upgrade is now available. Please see the U2 project page for details. Since this game cannot be included under the former “U3 Upgrade” title of the web site, it only made sense that I should refit the site to accommodate more than one upgrade project.